Sunday, February 7, 2010

Kicked Out Of School For All The Wrong Reasons

So nothing infuriates me more than for a Christian or a group of Christians to result to turning their back on another when they make a mistake, or waiver in their walk with Christ. Is this really a solution? Is this really what my Christ would do? Are they really delivering the right message to all those new Christians out there? Hmmmm?

I have these two beautiful teenage girls in my life that attend a Westminster Christian Academy here in Huntsville. One of them recently came to and informed that her best friend at the school had been kicked out. The reason for this was that she was pregnant. This decision is left to the headmaster of the school.

I guess, now that I think about it if my daughter were to get pregnant in high school, a Christian High School, and as a result be kicked out....I would not want my daughter to attend there anyway. I would not want my daughter to have this as an example of how Christians handle situations like this. I do not know a number of details about this situation, all I know is that this young lady, who has been kicked out of school for being pregnant, needs that Christian support now than ever, she needs just support in general, she needs to know where to go for guidance.

I know and understand the example she is setting for the rest of the student body but who is to say that allowing her to stay would not be setting a good example. She could be used as an example. This could be an opportunity to talk to the student about being sexually active, not denying that it exists. I guess they could keep the whole "don't ask don't tell" policy and the problem will magically fix itself and disappear. Kids will just magically know how to treat sexual activity with respect, to treat themselves with respect. Not to mention, the students being taught through example (despite what they may say) that judgment is left us, not the God that created us.
Let me make it perfectly clear, I did not write this as a Christian bashing blog. I am a Christian. I am very passionate about my Christian faith, please respect that. I believe that it is not a religion, but a personal and intimate relationship with Christ. Personal in that no one should judge another Christian's walk, mistakes, or way of living, leave that to God. I believe God has has that under control. I just believe that people (even Christians) have the wrong conception of how some things should be, not that I have the correct conception but I do at least know that my Christ was forgiving, accepting, and loving. I just think there are better ways for situations like this to be handled. Ugh!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said Alice. Well put! I love your blog too btw:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this to be so sad Alice. People need to remember that the very Mother of Christ was an unwed pregnant teenager! Obviously they are loosing sight of the Love of Christ when they make decisions such as these. Unfortunately I think this judgemental attitude plagues the Christian religions (and I not Christian bashing either, I am a devout Catholic!). Please give the pregnant girl my info. Even if she is not a likely candidate to birth at the clinic, I will offer to be her labor and post partum doula for free. You are right, she needs all the support we can muster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just reading something the other day to the effect of "Truth without Grace is simply self-righteousness". We all have to remember to have the same feelings of grace towards each other that Christ has towards us. I agree that the headmaster's reaction shows no grace at all, and may in fact push this young lady even further from God. I pray she can find the support and love she needs to turn this situation into one that improves her relationship with Christ rather than hurts it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rebecca! And thank you ladies for your input. My heart just went out to this girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Savior Himself, when presented with the women taken in adultery said, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." Of course, no one was able to honestly look into their heart and condemn the women. Jesus, who was without sin and could have cast that first stone, then turned to her and said, "Women, where are thine accusers? Neither will I condemn thee. Go thy way and sin no more." That is the example He set and the one we should strive to follow. I hope the poor girl will be able to face her situation with courage, and find a way to forgiven those who should have been a support to her.

    ReplyDelete